WHAT is EMV?
Europay International, MasterCard International, and Visa International formed EMVCo, LLC to manage EMV card specifications for payment systems around the world. The objective of EMVCo is to ensure that single terminal and card approval processes are developed at a level that will allow cross payment system interoperability through compliance of the EMV standards.
EMV is the global payment standard, and recent announcements by Visa and Mastercard have laid the roadmap for EMV in the United States.
What did Visa & Mastercard announce?
· Payments occur at payment terminals that are chip enabled, the Visa removes the requirement for annual PCI-DSS recertification.
· By April 1, 2013, U.S. acquirer processors and sub-processor service providers to be able to support merchant acceptance of chip transactions
· EMV Liability Shift:
· POS: October 1, 2015: liability shift for any in-store POS fraudulent transactions on non-EMV chip & PIN compatible terminals
· Forecourt: October 1, 2017: forecourt liability shift for fraudulent transactions on non-EMV chip & PIN compatible terminals
Little Chip, More Security
An EMV chip card is a credit or debit card containing an embedded computer chip, which provides the ability to securely store and process data and provides increased protection against lost, stolen or counterfeit card fraud. It’s harder to counterfeit a chip card than a magnetic-stripe card because chip creates a unique impression each time it is used.
Cards with magnetic stripes contains “static” data that does not change. Thieves can steal information and create a counterfeit card.
Thieves have more difficulty stealing payment data from EMV transactions because information is encoded uniquely each time.
What does EMV approval mean to the retailer?
EMV approval for your standard convenience store equipment is granted on two different levels:
1 – EMV Compliance with hardware (devices), and
2 – EMV Compliance with software (inside the device)
What are the benefits of EMV compliance?
Benefits of EMV compliance include:
· Improved security (with associated fraud reduction)
· Foundation for emerging technologies like mobile payments
· Reduced charge-backs
What are the key dates to implement EMV in the United States?
Be prepared with Gilbarco Veeder-Root EMV – US Product Offerings.
· Passport currently offers EMV support in Canada
· Passport hardware PX52 or higher will support EMV in the U.S.
· US timeline depends on forthcoming payment network specifications
· Encore 700 S includes an EMV-certified CRIND platform
· FlexPay II CRIND retrofit kits for Advantage and Encore 300, 500, and S dispensers.
· Secure PumpPAY CRIND retrofit kits for Wayne Vista/Ovation and Tokheim Premier B and C dispensers.
· FlexPay Connect long-range Ethernet switch to enable high-speed EMV transactions. Required for sites using Twisted Pair Connectivity (both dedicated and shared).
EMV – certified CRIND platform offers:
· Superior merchandising with Gilbarco Veeder-Root Applause™ Media System and Applause™ TV with VNET capability
· Enhanced and upgradeable security with PCI-UPT and EMV-certifications as standard offerings
· Enhanced processor provides a platform for growth
*Note: Based on known EMV specifications today. Will require software and/or card reader upgrade once specifications are anncunced. The US EMV specifications have not yet been announced by Visa.
1. Site Surveys provide a roadmap for implementation —
No matter what your timeline; a Site Survey will enable you to allocate your resources as efficiently as possible.
2. Site Surveys help breakdown costs —
A Site Survey will quickly tell you what needs to be replaced or upgraded and if any additional costs may be incurred.
3. Site Surveys save money —
A Site Survey keeps costs down by ensuring that you only upgrade what is needed and helps prevent site re-visits.
4. Site Surveys may be required —
Some Major Oil companies are requiring a site survey in order to qualify for promotional incentives.
5. Site Surveys help avoid the rush —
A Site Survey takes the guess work out, helping you avoid the rush by planning early.